Friday, June 29, 2012

Stu: Now With Added Scars!

Warning: Pictures don't match paragraphs.

First of all, thank you for the support and messages since the accident and my last post. I want this blog to document my whole trip. My metal state is an important part of that and to ignore it in favour of documenting sights seen and activities done wouldn't give a true reflection of a trip of this magnitude. So, this is as good a place as any to carry on.

Pittsburgh PA
As I'm sure we're all aware, things were pretty crappy last week. Energy levels down, confidence hiding in a corner, and a desire just to curl up and not watch the world go by. Since then, things went a little more downhill. The gaping and oozing holes in my face were coupled with feeling returning to my lip. A sign that things are healing, but some serious pain. I thought things may not be so bad so I got a Subway one night. Took an hour to eat and the Dr Pepper (like Coke, it kills everything) had me in tears. I spent a couple of days without brushing me teeth and eating as little as possible. Eventually found a CVS with some Red Cross CankerSore (a staggering 20% benzocaine) which did an incredible job of numbing my tongue and making me drool.

Pittsburgh PA
World's largest electric guitar, Carnegie Science Center
Things have become better though. I made it to Pittsburgh where CouchSurfing has come up trumps. I had one night in a motel a fair distance out of town, but then stayed with a guy called Somesh for a couple of nights. I slept well into the morning and didn't leave bed until lunchtime and I started feeling quite a bit better. My wounds seem to be healing alright which is going to make things so much better. Not sure what the wound on my lip is going to do, but it looks like my nose will be alright with just a scar or two and maybe a bit of a crater. Most annoying thing now is trying to avoid scratching or wiping my nose as I just get me fingers covered in gunk every time. I'm now staying with a girl called Iva and we've been out and about seeing some sights and cycling across the city in 35+ °C heat. At the moment, I'm well on the mend and just need to get my stamina up and get used to high speeds again before I'm back to how things were. For anyone out there who somehow manages to replicate my faceplant and disfigure themselves, my advice is simple - antibiotics, anesthetic, sleep for a week.

National Aviary
So that covers the effects of crashing, but there are longer term factors that affects what goes on in me head. Anyone who's done loads of business travel will know how functional hotels and motels are. They all provide the same services, have the same standards, have the same TV channels showing Avatar every Sunday, are comfortable enough, but day after day they offer no feeling of 'home'. You can rest, you can sleep, you can sit in your pants dropping crumbs all over the bed, but you can never fully relax. A related factor is the loneliness. You interact with people (mostly in motels or restaurants) but as you're always on the move you don't really get the opportunity to fully know and understand anyone. I haven't seen a familiar face since I left DC on the 16th April. For the moment, this isn't affecting me too much and I believe that this is an outcome of my depression. I became introvert and denied that I had any problems, and now many negative feelings kind of get pushed to one side and ignored. The best way I an describe it is that my mood is generally empty and isn't so easily influenced by outside factors. So for me, I focus on the cycling and getting to the next State capital and I can cope with that. For anyone else, this could be an incredibly lonely trip which could really get you down.

Phipps Conservatory
More than enough of that, so back to what's been happening. Firstly, cycling anywhere near a city the size of Pittsburgh sucks! After conquering the last few mountains the roads changed from country roads to 6 lane behemoths. I also got the first bit of abuse shouted at me for ages. For anyone thinking of shouting abuse at cyclists, shouting 'FUCK YOU!' in a really high pitched whiny voice scares about as much as a 6 year old girl carrying a bunch of flowers. Once in Pittsburgh I was down to my last $21 in cash. Time to go to the cash machine, except that two of them couldn't complete the transaction. Bloody Halifax! No idea why they suspended the PIN, but it all got cleared up easily enough after 5 minutes of navigating their bastard automatic answering service.

A genuine $2 bill - I didn't know they existed either
Tuesday was a phenomenal day of food and science. Had lunch at the Red Oak Cafe in Oakland. Just a normal cafe really, but some of the best food I've had here in the States. Another factor in my mental health is the food. Most of it is chains and sandwiches and burgers and fries with everything and deep fried this and deep fried that or Italian that has no resemblance to authentic Italian other than it contains pasta. But this place had genuine food. I even had that grain stuff that has no taste and only vegans, health food fanatics and celiacs know about. After that I went to the Carnegie Science Center; guitars, robots (I drew a game of air-hockey against a robot) and a WWII submarine. Not as good as the Connecticut Science Center, but still a great afternoon. On the way home I went into Hello Bistro. It was calling me for some reason and I was expecting a typical get-shown-to-a-seat-with-a-menu-of-steaks-and-burgers kind of affair. Turns out the place wasn't opening for another couple of days and they were doing a practice run of everything. They had burgers, but their main thing was essentially doing salad with the Subway process of constructing it as you go along. Most salads you get over here are side salads before a meal with a few leaves hanging over the edge of a small plate and some dressing to throw over the top. This was done properly with cutting and mixing and it was good. Two good meals with fresh ingredients and no deep-fat frying (one of which was free) in one day really cheered us up.

Other activities in Pittsburgh include the National Aviary, some late-night table-tennis, some slacklining, and the Phipps Conservatory botanical garden. How much better things would be if I weren't on antibiotics and could have a few beers!

Tiff: 1999 - 2012
In other news, we've had to say goodbye to another family member - Tiff The Dog (named after a 7 legged rabbit called 'Tiff The Dog', with one leg on his back so he could hop along the ceiling, who lived in a treehouse under the sea before the colour blue was invented). I'd like to take a moment to remember some of her most memorable achievements:

  • 12 dry Weetabix
  • 1 large box of Thornton's Special Toffee
  • 1 kg of margarine
  • 6 creme eggs (including most of the wrappers)
  • 1 large bag of fruit pastels (on multiple occasions)
  • The list continues, I just can't remember or haven't heard

4 comments:

  1. Glad you're on the mend. Keep your chin up. Poor Tiff but great achievements in her life! Murph has some catching up to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad! But glad to say she seemed as happy as ever the other weekend. On another not, your helmet photos show much improvement in the scarring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mate, just done some catching up with you.
    Your. Trip. is. Epic!
    Sorry to hear about Tiff, never realised i was visiting a legend when we went round to yours!
    I'm glad you're feeling a little more upbeat now. Enjoying the ups and getting through the downs is all part of it I guess.
    I hope the wounds heal and the facial hair recovers - did it cost anything for hospital over there?
    Keep this up man, love the writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Eggie.
      I don't think that facial hair is ever coming back. It isn't too obvious from a distance though so it's not so bad. For the hospital I just handed over me insurance card and I'm hoping things will sort themselves out. Didn't get much treatment so won't be the biggest bill ever.
      Good to hear from you. Hope you and Shannon are doing well.

      Delete