Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Listening to: United States of Whatever by Liam Lynch


The Good
Niagara River, Niagara Falls NY
Leaving Niagara Falls I went North to see some more of the Niagara River and Lake Ontario. As I alluded to in me last post, the falls aren’t as impressive as their reputation precedes, but the Niagara River is immense; especially as you head north to see the gorge and the whirlpool. As long as you can resist the charms of ‘The Silo’ in Lewiston (as featured on Man vs. Food, and very proud of that they are too) you reach Fort Niagara where the Niagara River feeds into Lake Ontario. New one for the wildlife list though – a swimming snake that’d caught a fish.

Following along Lake Ontario, the region is all wine country. Obviously though cycling and wine aren’t the best combination (as learnt through experimentation) so no wine tasting was done. The lake though is pretty huge. On the horizon I could just about see the skyscrapers of Toronto, but they were too far to show up on the photo.

Eventually I made it to the Finger Lakes. Had a stunning 65 mile ride to get to Geneva on Seneca Lake in glorious sunshine. Made my way down to the lake shore and there was some live music going on. I also tackled perhaps my toughest challenge on the ride over – this icecream…

A small icecream
This icecream was about the size of me head (alright, maybe half the size of me head, but still, huge!) and this was a small size. There was only going to be one winner here – the icecream; I was covered in it. For the more hirsute ladies, an icecream this size, this unbalanced, and this melted will just make your beard all sticky. Me face upto me eyes was green, icecream was dripping off me elbow – anyone who’s ever seen a toddler in summer will know the look. There is a way to tackle a beast like this and that’s to not make the same mistake as me – don’t get anything with chunks. No chocolate chips, no nuts, no toffee pieces. You just can’t chew quickly enough to keep the icecream under control.

Vineyard on Seneca Lake shore, NY
But, once at Seneca Lake, what a place. Another beautiful place and cycling down the side of the lake is more wine country. Obviously though cycling and wine aren’t the best combination (as learnt through experimentation) but how often do you go cycling through the wine regions of New York? The region is particularly known for its Rieslings and the ones I had were just incredible. For those that haven’t been to a winery, you pay a couple of dollars to taste 5 or 6 wines and then you flirt and show enough interest to get a taste of the more exclusive wines that you’re supposed to pay extra for, and for a taste of the wines that shouldn’t even be open.

In Watkins Glen there is a gorge. To make a comparison, Niagara Falls was pretty impressive, but the gorge was just incredible. Not expected at all, but an amazing sight.
Watkins Glen NY

The Bad
Other than the weather, which has been a little ropey recently, I’ve stayed in a couple of really crappy motels. Internet access has been intermittent. I’ve been sitting with me netbook hanging out the window attempting to steal wifi from a car dealership on the other side of the road, and other times there’s been nothing. To make things more painful, although I’ve paid off me credit card it hadn’t been processed so I’ve been running fairly close to me credit limit.

In Watkins Glen as I pulled into a motel THUWNK! That sound again. And at half 4 on a Saturday with no bike shops in town this was going to be a tricky one to sort out. Nearest bike shop open on a Sunday is 25 miles away on the edge of the Cornell University campus, so looks like I’ll be taking a trip over there and hopefully I won’t have to walk the whole way.

Ghost Bike, Bloomfield NY
On occasion you are reminded of the nature of what you’re doing and of your mortality. Cycling past another ghost bike reminds you that you’re only one Dodge Ram away from being killed. Although on these roads I’m more likely to get hit by a Cobra or a Ford GT40 – those spending the day drinking on winery tours are rich. Although I’m probably in more danger of myself. The most observant will have seen the injury count go up as I managed to cut the back of me leg on me gears. Nothing serious at least.

The Ugly
Turns out that another friend has attempted suicide again.

1 comment:

  1. Really appreciating the blog, Stu - a glimpse of another world as I sit at my desk. Really admire you going it alone!

    ReplyDelete