Thursday, April 19, 2012

Oh say can you see...

The sun in a scaled distance model of the solar system
I left Annapolis in blazing sunshine again an immediately got lost looking for a bike trail to take me most of the way to Baltimore. After several miles a scaled distance model of the solar system began with Pluto. About 3 miles later I found the sun. I'm just the nerdy kind of guy that would think that was a good idea.

The trail took me to Baltimore/Washington International Airport where there's another trail going around the perimeter. Blatantly I have to take the long route round adding 10 miles to me journey, but was nice. And once off the trail, I got properly lost. I think I've found somewhere with worse traffic signposting than Warrington. Had to ask several people for directions and was still lost until I was on the far side of the harbour and could see Baltimore clearly. I tried a couple of students for a sofa but got nowhere so went to find the hostel. $30 a night - done! When I woke up, with a bit more to see in Baltimore, crappy weather and several aches and pains I thought it'd be an idea to stick in Baltimore for a whole day and get an extra night in the hostel.

American Visionary Art Museum
Baltimore is home to the National Aquarium. I always seem to end up in aquariums or zoos for some reason (maybe because I like them) so why stop now? Met a guy from the hostel (Dev) in there and so we stuck together for the next adventure - American Visionary Art Museum. Some crazy things in there - some visionary, some just bad. Particular highlights were a sphere made from 18000 bras and a multiple ping-pong ball run made of matchsticks depicting numerous iconic scenes of San Francisco. Final trip was to Walters Art Museum before relaxing with me Kindle for the evening.

I've made a couple of updates to the progress page and feel as though I need to clarify the injuries received so far. The first was getting scratched by a kitten using my head as a springboard across a sofa. The second was cutting my finger slightly while trying to get keys out of me over-packed bag.

3 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying this! Good on you. I expect you to be a convert to visionary art by the time you get back!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a nice place but you are in Murder She Wrote country so be careful if you meet any widowed retired school teachers who are spending their autumn years writing murder mystery novels. Its all a front I tell you!
    Solar system thing sounds awesome do you have more pics?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Stu! Any idea on total distance cycled so far?

    ReplyDelete