Sunday, April 15, 2012

Successful Day in DC

Drinking: crate of Magic Hat Brewing Company, Summer Scene.

My beautiful new bike
Been a busy day today, and best start off with perhaps the most important of the whole trip. This morning I bought a bike. Before flying out, I did have ideas of getting something with a basket and tassels off the handlebars, or even a tandem with a sex doll to go on the back and keep me company during the lonely nights. But, thankfully no doubt, sense has prevailed and I've got meself some roadbike that will hopefully go the distance. Thanks to the guys at Bicycle Space in Washington DC for their help, advice, encouragement and of course their bike. And just to reassure my Mum, that is a pretty beefy helmet on the pedal.
The guys at Bicycle Space

Ben's Chilli Bowl
Lunch was at what would seem to be a Washington institution, Bens Chili Bowl, for their infamous Chili Smoke. We even sat at the table used by Obama when he visited, right underneath their 'shrine' to him, and next to a particularly unflattering picture of Nicolas Sarkozy and Carla Bruni (that guy is really short when he isn't stood on his platform). Well worth the visit - amazing chili dog.

Warning - morris dancers in this picture!
Final activities were a trip round the Newseum which is just incredible. Very emotional in places, and easily one of the best museums I've been to. Highly recommended for anyone in DC. After that it was time to try out my new bike with a slow trip around the National Mall. Think perhaps the most disturbing image of the day was at the steps of the Capitol. A sight to strike fear into the heart of any Englishman - morris dancers. You travel however many thousand miles to experience a different culture and leave behind your own only to be confronted with that.

Also, had a brilliant heckle today. I'm sure that anyone who knows us wouldn't be surprised to learn that I was wearing my Superman hoodie. On my way back to Mark's flat I encountered a black guy with the following wisdom...
You ain't Superman! Superman was a black man.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Stu, looks like an epic time so far! Good Luck with the cycling dude, looking forward to more posts :D

    ReplyDelete