Sunday, May 27, 2012

Vermont To New York

I seem to be fairly negligent as of late in writing about a place when I'm actually there. This time, I've been to State capital number 11 - Albany NY - and already moved on.

Cycling through a cloud at the start of 6 miles of downhill
In the last post I was in a bed and breakfast in Pittsfield VT and from there I continued me 170 mile journey across a mountain range or two to get from Montpelier to Albany in just 3 days. From the BnB things started fairly rough with a 10 mile uphill ride from 900 feet to 2100 feet. I was cycling through a cloud by the end of it, but what goes up must come down and that 6 miles of downhill was pretty epic.

A chance to stay in Manchester couldn't be overlooked, although the Manchester in Vermont is just a little different to the Manchester back home - few more mountains, and a little more forest. I did overhear a brilliant half a conversation whilst I was having breakfast though...
The officer said that it is allowed here, just as long as you don't touch yourself.
All clear then - when in Vermont, as long as you're touching someone else, it's all good.

Empire State Plaza, Albany NY
In Albany I had a well deserved rest-day. It's not too bad a city. There is one street with some fun to be had and a couple of decent sights to be seen. But, despite going to an 'English Pub', I'm yet to be served a warm beer and a menu with Doner Kebab with options such as chicken curry as a filling and no mention of doner is a travesty. There was also a choice to be made: either nail it down to Harrisburg to keep the capital counter up, or add an extra 300 miles or so and head west to Niagara Falls before going south to Harrisburg. The people of Facebook chose, and chose well. Found a bike path that heads west, and when I got onto the path there was a sign saying that it goes all the 349 miles to Buffalo (or close enough).

So tonight I'm in the village of Fultonville. Across the river is the village of Fonda. There's very little here other than a speedway so all I can hear at the minute is the sound of far too many V8 engines on a way too small oval track.

Birthday Boy!
Before I forget, couple of things to finish off. First of all, as it's crept over to the 27th with the time difference, I can say happy birthday to my big brother! 28 again with his first year of experience!


Last thing, over here is a holiday weekend. On Monday is Memorial Day - a day to remember those fallen on behalf of the US armed forces. I'd like to remind everyone of another group of people who have lost their lives...

Ghost Bike, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment