Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Pond

Listening to: The Beatles, All You Need Is Love

State House, Concord NH
After the pissing rain in Derry NH, things seem to have gotten a little better. For now anyway. Up in Concord I walked into a bar with apparently the best timing ever. No idea what the joke was, but it had something to do with the big red 'S' emblazoned across me chest. Had a pint and some food thinking 'could just do with a bit of Beatles' when All You Need Is Love comes on. Next day I was in a diner in the middle of nowhere outside of Concord thinking 'could do with some Beatles here' when Boom! All You Need Is Love comes on the radio. Good times.

I've been told before that New Hampshire has the second highest tree population in the States, and after cycling through it I can believe it. There's the odd house, the odd lake, but otherwise there's nothing but tree. People do wonder about how lonely it must get to be doing this by myself, and it does get lonely. For a good portion of the day there is nothing to do other than think about names for cheese shops (Curds & Wahey!). But then, as you fly down a hill, surrounded by woodlands, meeting a picturesque stream at the bottom of the hill in the blazing sunshine you begin to think about the people back home, sat at the computer fiddling with Excel spreadsheets and trying to stop Word from reformatting all the pictures. Sucks to be you - it's beautiful out here.
Somewhere in New Hampshire

What a day I had yesterday! Simply incredible. Nice easy day of cycling planned to get me from Durham NH to Portsmouth NH going round the Great Bay which is only about 20 miles. Got off the main road and could smell the salt and ozone of the sea. Things were going to be good - THWUNK! Look down and me back wheel is going all over the place. This needs looking at. Bike is upsidedown for a minute before another cyclist comes past and invites me back to hers, just round the corner, where her partner has all the tools I could need for a fix. Score! Unhook the rear brake and limp it round the corner to have a better look at the problem and I've broken a spoke. Terri and Chuck give us a lift into Portsmouth to the quality bike shop Papa Wheelies. While the bike is on the mend, myself Terri and Chuck go off to the Coat Of Arms, a British pub, for a pint and some lunch. Back at Papa Wheelies, Steve is so inspired by me journey and by Terri and Chuck's generosity there's no charge for the fix. I was beaming as I went into town to see what was going on and to kill some time before finding a motel.
Heroes of the day - Steve of Papa Wheelies, Terri and Chuck

Sunset from Portsmouth
Portsmouth is fairly well known for its nightlife, and on a stunning Saturday it had to be good. Went to the Portsmouth Brewery for a couple of local ales and spent the evening talking to a few random but brilliant people at the bar. Went somewhere else for some music and ended up pretty much crashing a hen party. Fantastic day, and a much needed evening. Many, many thanks to Terri and Chuck for their help and company. Many thanks to Steve at Papa Wheelies for the bike fix. And many thanks to anyone I met last night for making it a great night. I've heard before that Portsmouth is a great place, and you've all proven it.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to know you had a good time. BTW, have a couch and shower lined up for you in Harrisburg and a friend in Kalamazoo, MI if you're up for Lansing, MI as a stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stuart, I wish you many more miles of safe biking and know of good bike shops in sundry cities, if you've the need again. If you're interested in sightseeing in PA, I can help you out with places, like Hershey, Harrisburg (another capital) and Gettysburg. Gettysburg has an Irish pub downtown, where I've enjoyed the shepherds pie bangers and mash, too. You can reach me via Terri.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Mary.

    I'm currently making my way to Montpelier and then it's Harrisburg after that so I'll be in touch soon enough.

    ReplyDelete