Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Hiding From The Rain

Little Falls NY
In the last post I was in Fultonville listening to the sounds of the Speedway not helping me sleep. After that I stopped in Little Falls NY. Not too much to say, but next door to the motel was a cinema so I went to watch Men In Black 3. Good film, but better than that was the adverts beforehand. All of them, without exception, were for local businesses (used cars, hardware, more used cars, rubbish collection, the pub) complete with shaky camera action and over-enthusiastic comb-overs.

Last night I made it to Rome. For all you American history geeks, this is the location of Fort Stanwix. For all of you who aren't American history geeks, meh - another town, another motel.

Back onto the Erie Canalway Trail and this morning it was stunning. I even had to stop to put more sunblock on as I'd seen a sign saying it was 33 C at 11 am and it was just getting hotter. After lunch (a Moonpie and a couple of cupcakes) I started running into problems. The USA isn't known for its use of its rail network, but over the past few days I've seen trains on the tracks and moving a number of times which has surprised the locals a lot. Today I encountered another train on the tracks but not moving, right across a level crossing. 100 m detour round the back of the train, carrying me bike, and I was back on me way. That's when the wind picked up and it got dark. Then it started to rain. Heavily. Me trainers were waterlogged within 2 minutes. I pressed on until the path was blocked by a gaggle of geese protecting their goslings and I turned back to the last civilisation to find some kind of help. And that's how I find myself in an empty house, that's in the process of being repossessed by the bank, hiding from a thunderstorm with a collection of medieval style axes. Last night I slept in a king-size bed, tonight I have a bit of sponge. If the weather improves, I may go and find a proper place to stay - it's only 12 miles or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment