Thursday, August 2, 2012

Windy City

Sue, Field Museum Chicago
Arriving in Chicago I headed over to the hostel to get meself a bed for a few nights. Yeah, didn't go so well, but at least I had something for one night. Without a bed I had to spend the evening trying to find a couch to sleep on so I couldn't really relax and enjoy the city. Next morning I headed off to the aquarium as I've not been to one for a while. Hour and a half queue? Field Museum instead will have to do instead. Fairly decent, but has the kind of normal museum set-up where I just get bored after a little while. Also, for a natural history museum, having a toy of Belle from Beauty & The Beast as an example of a human ("not lifesize") is a pretty poor show.

Went to meet my first host, Andrew, and managed to accomplish a few things. First of all, I got a post onto Craigslist to sell my bike. Second, I got directions to a department store where I could buy new pants, new socks, new shorts, and a new shirt. Finally, I booked a flight home (landing in the not-so-fair city of Manchester on 2nd September). That new sock feeling is just incredible, but to be able to wear clothes that don't hum makes a good change. The bike had interest and was effectively sold within 20 minutes to a guy called Igor who wanted to swap a couple of things round, but the bike itself will be continuing to tour around the States at various times so it's a happy new beginning. With Andrew and my new clothes we headed out to go drinking. $10 for an open bar and 3000 miles to celebrate.

Piece by Roy Lichtenstein
Another day and another host. Met Zach after selling the bike and buying me Greyhound Discovery Pass. One authentic Chicago Deep Dish Pizza later we headed back to his, a little North of Chicago, to meet his cat, dump me bag and then head out to a street festival and to meet a couple of his friends. Grabbed some beers and played a fairly complex game about farming where myself and another newcomer to the game were well and truly trounced despite our more diverse and prosperous farms.

Time for another art museum comparison, and this time it's the world renowned Art Institute of Chicago. Incredible building, great collection, still not as good as the Columbus Art Museum. Maybe it's just the size of the collection and the need to show it that takes precedence over coming up with ways in which it can be interacted with?

After a spot of rock climbing (my phobia of heights is just getting worse) a few more beers, and being woken up at 6:15 am it was time to leave Chicago. Coming up soon: The Greyhound Diaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment