Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Sometimes, Things Just Go Right

Listening to: Sly & The Family Stone (on vinyl)

Columbus OH
With my second host in Columbus, the lovely Kristen, things started off with a late evening. From nowhere a load of people turned up, largely thanks to an app called GroupMe and there was plenty of talk about bikes. Really good group of friends and housemates who were completely relaxed and laid back with each other. After a day wandering round an area of town called the Short North and doing my best to avoid the sun, we headed out to a club that plays proper 50s rock 'n' roll. In my slightly "worn" t-shirt and trousers I thought I'd be under-dressed for a place like this, but no, not even close.

Ohio - it's flat
Leaving Columbus, I nailed 75 miles to get to Englewood, north of Dayton. Finally, my fitness is back good and proper. I'm now well and truly in the flat part of the States. I'd heard that it'd be flat, and it really is. Not even 4 years in Oxfordshire can prepare you. In Maine there was ocean to look at, in Vermont there was mountains and forests, in New York there was lakes and wineries, in Pennsylvania there was plenty more mountains, but in Ohio there's just flat fields. As I approached Englewood I was cycling along a ridge when I heard a jet engine with the unmistakable sound of afterburners and I knew that something decent was overhead. Just about kept one eye on the road as 4 F/A-18 Hornets flew past in a tight 4 diamond formation - only America's equivalent of the Red Arrows, the Blue Angels.

From Englewood I headed to Richmond, Indiana. Along the way I met another cyclist (Ross), heading towards California, in a petrol station. As we were both heading to Richmond we rode together to meet his Richmond contact through WarmShowers (Aaron). Once there we had some icecream and spent the afternoon playing guitar, violin and accordion with a songwriter friend of Aaron's, Nathan. I am incredibly jealous of these people as they're so creative and can connect with each other through music and write songs together with no apparent effort. The unexpected and unasked for generosity of people has been shown again today by Aaron who prepared dinner for both myself and Ross, and also found a friend nearby who could host me for the evening so I'm now staying in a massive old house with the incredibly kind Kurt. Sometimes things just work out and work out well. It's a great feeling to be a part of it when things do work out like that and I hope that I can be on the giving end of random generosity once home again.

1 comment: