Monday, July 16, 2012

IN Indy

Listening to: Human Fly performed by Brown Bottle Flu

State Capitol, Indianapolis IN
Three achievements to report here: 14 State capitals, 2500 miles and 3 months in the States. From here on in, I'm making use of the B2 visa.

Following on from things going randomly right in Richmond, my public request for a couch in Indianapolis was answered by a teacher called Brandon who has an entire summer off with nothing to do other than party. Events were started with a trip to a brewery where they do tastings much the same as they do in wineries. Great concept, but a fair amount of beer to get through in one go and by the time you get to the last beer you can't taste anything nearly as well as when you started.

Original LOVE sculpture, Indianapolis Museum of Art
Another day, and another art museum - the Indianapolis Museum of Art. Decent collection of art, and home of the first 'LOVE' sculpture, but not as good as the Columbus Museum of Art. The IMA has a better collection but just doesn't inspire the same connection with the art. There are some good quality gardens that are well worth the look around though. The best thing to cure a day of culture? A bar where you turn up with your own giant goblets for cheap beer (cheap crappy beer anyway).

Canal District, Indianapolis IN
After a little confusion I met up with my second CouchSurfing host, Becs, and do I fancy going to see a band? Of course I do! We were driven down to Bloomington IN by one of Becs' friends after we picked up her previous CouchSurfer, a crazy German guy by the name of Axel. Arrived at the venue and nothing. Band haven't shown up. Bit of berating on Facebook over dinner and the gig's back on! First time I've seen a 3 piece punk band play with only 3 bass strings, playing to an audience you could count on your fingers, but quality version of Human Fly. The guitarist and bassist were both in separate bands in a battle of the bands playing across town. We did the groupie thing and headed over where there was a crowd so big you'd have to take at least one of your socks off to count the number of people. 1 beer, 1 hairy bear, 1 share of a fishbowl, 5 bands and home at half 3 - decent evening.

I think I now know what my next plans are. I've been cycling for 3 months and I've covered a significant distance, but if I carried on cycling I'd have to really bump up the distance cycled per day and I'd still miss a lot of sights. The massive three people who answered my question on Facebook have confirmed that stopping cycling and doing a bit of sightseeing is the right thing to do. The plan then is simple: cycle to Lansing MI for capital number 15 and follow the lake round to Chicago IL. Sell / give away / abandon the bike and continue the journey by train or bus most likely in some kind of loop going to Seattle, San Fransisco, Utah, New Orleans and work my way back to New York to fly home again. If anyone has any suggestions for places to visit then leave comments, send messages, Skype, email, etc. etc.

4 comments:

  1. congrats on the mileage mate! awesome distance!
    What was the facebook question? I spend very little time on FB nowadays so i must've missed it. i've only ever been to New york, boston and miami in the US so i'm not well qulified to suggest anywhere. I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you go though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dude.
      FB is rubbish anyway. Getting time to leave it. If there's anywhere you kind of want to see in the US and would rather someone try it out first then suggest it.

      Delete
  2. Well, I want to do Vancouver to Tijuana so anywhere West Coast I reckon especially San Fran but I reckon anywhere new is great. All about the people you meet too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I didn't answer the question! Didn't want to divert your determination by mentioning the 'art of being flexible' attitude we ended up taking to our walk - go with it for the enjoyment!

    Don't know US much - Big Sur for one, and San Diego Zoo - surprisingly fab despite being a zoo. David loves Santa Fe and then drive from there to Taos. Arches National Part not far from there. And always San Francisco. There again some friends were in Miami - art + architecture + beach.

    ReplyDelete